[mythtv-users] alsaconf

Iohan Reyes ijr at routex.net
Mon Oct 30 15:09:14 UTC 2006

Hi Folks,

I need some help with (re)-configuring my system for basic sound.  I
have a Dell Dimension 9100 with a Sound Blaster Live 24-bit card
(detected as SB Audigy LS using lspci -v) and some research has led me
to information that says I need to use the ca0106 alsa drivers.  On my
original installation of Fedora Core 5 (followed the FedoraMyth(TV)ology
steps), sound was detected and everything worked fine.  Yesterday, I
mistakenly did a "yum -y update" in the wrong terminal window and
proceeded to hose my fully-functioning system.  To make a long story
short, I was able to fix my ivtv and nvidia-graphics issues after the
upgrade, but my sound is still refusing to work.

Here is what I have done so far to try and fix it:
export $VER=`uname -r`
yum -y install alsa-kmdl-$KVER
yum -y install alsa-driver

Now being the idiot that I am, I have managed to mangle the
/etc/modprobe.conf file to the point where I have lost all lines related
to sound.  I then went to the ALSA website and copy and pasted the lines
that are supposed to be put into /etc/modules.conf and tried them both
in /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modprobe.conf.  Drivers seemed to load,
but aplay wouldn't play any wav files.

Every google search I do points me to running "alsaconf" but I cannot
locate this on my system.  I was finally able to track down a copy of
it, v0.43b (from the year 2000 it seems), but it doesn't list my sound
card as one of the options when I run it.

Is there a manual way to do what alsaconf automagically does in the
background and if so can someone point me in the right direction so I
can try to get it working?

Thanks,

Iohan

PS. Here is some (hopefully) relevant info...
#lspci -v
05:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy LS
        Subsystem: Creative Labs Unknown device 1007
        I/O ports at dc20 [size=32]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

#dmesg
ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:05:02.0[A] -> GSI 18 (level, low) -> IRQ 58
Model 1007 Rev 00000000 Serial 10071102

#aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup_new.wav
ALSA lib pcm_direct.c:1629:(snd_pcm_direct_parse_open_conf) Unknown
field ipc_sem
aplay: main:547: audio open error: Invalid argument

#cat /etc/modprobe.conf
# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-ca0106