[mythtv-users] DVD playback problems

Piers Kittel mythtv at biased.org
Mon Oct 30 10:06:21 UTC 2006

George,

George Nassas wrote:
> These are progress messages from the internal player, your old
> settings were switched out as part of the upgrade from .19 to .20. If
> you choose to accept your mission as volunteer tester you can repost
> this over on -dev and see if Stanley Kamithi or Anduin Withers
> respond, they seem to be looking after this area nowadays. Failing
> that you can flip the player back to what you had before. I'm not
> sure why your frontend would be crashing in the setup menu, I use
> debian and have no trouble with this. A workaround would be to tweak
> the database directly. Something like this:

Before I post on the -dev mailing list, one thing I
discovered/remembered recently.  I have to be root to be able to play
back the DVD when using mplayer and I have never really worked out how
to make a normal user play DVDs.  Mythfrontend runs under the user
"piers" so maybe if I can make the user "piers" to be able to play DVDs
it might fix my problem?  Although I haven't had any problems running
mplayer to play DVDs as piers before the upgrade...

This is the information I obtained from the database:

DVDDeviceLocation - /misc/cd
                      DVDOnInsertDVD    - 1
                                           DVDPlayerCommand  -
/usr/local/bin/mplayer dvd:// -dvd-device %d -fs -zoom -vo xv -slang en
DVDRipLocation    - /var/lib/mythdvd/temp

Thanks very much for your help again!

Cheers - Piers