[mythtv-users] Greetings.... an introduction (probably long)

Mark Chang mark.chang at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 01:37:45 UTC 2006

Glad I found the list. I'm embarking on the Mythtv quest for the first
time and will probably be looking for recommendations :). First, a
little background to the problem:

Having just bought my first honest-to-goodness HDTV set, but without a
cable provider that can supply QAM-encoded or Firewire-decoded HDTV, I
am resorting to OTA transmission. As an avid Tivo (sorry, wife just
loves it) user, the inability to time shift is starting anger the wife
a lot. She loves HDTV, and she loves her time shifting.

Anyways, long story short, time to build a Mythtv box for OTA (ATSC)
recording. Looking at:
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_cards

I am primarily looking for real-world experience using these cards (or
any not on the wiki). I am most interested in ATSC capture, with NTSC
a close second (so I can supplant my Tivo). QAM would be nice, but
that need won't be for a year or two when we move to another area.

Another question is what DVI/HDMI-capable video output card would be
best. I figured an nvidia board for <$100 would be capable. Thoughts
on specifics?

So, which card is it gonna be? Oh, and btw, I was planning on picking
up a Dell E521 with either the Sempron 3400+ or Athlon 64 3200+.

Thanks for bearing with the n00b.

--
Mark L. Chang