[mythtv-users] Distro

Andrew Lyon andrew.lyon at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 20:28:52 UTC 2006

> Wondering which distro is giving people the least frustrations. I
> considered doing KoppMyth, but is this something I can easily change/
> add to when required?

I would go with Gentoo for one simple reason, although the initial
install may take a little longer than other distros you will only have
to do it once, there are no "version" releases of gentoo, only new
versions of the install and livecds, so in a years time you wont be
faced with a major upgrade and downtime.

Other reasons:

Easy to mix and match stable and unstable packages.
Ebuilds are available for most packages, I have written my own ebuilds
for those that are not.
Excellent forums.
No clutter / bloat, only install what you need!
There are gentoo ebuilds for mythtv (and a overlay available for the
very latest version),  and even for the Mercurial DVB drivers tree.

I first started using linux with slackware, I've been using gentoo for
the past 3 years but before that Red Hat, Mandrake, Debian, Suse,
Fedora, I've tried quite a few distros..

Andy