[mythtv-users] 0.20 PIP problems and DVD menu issues

Justin Hornsby justin.hornsby at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 13:58:32 UTC 2006

On 28/10/06, Ed Gatzke <gatzke at sc.edu> wrote:

> >> I just upgraded a knoppmyth R5D1 system from Mythtv 0.19 to 0.20 and I
> >> have some PIP issues.
> >>
> >> I have a pcHDTV 3000 and a PVR 500. PIP works ok when I enable it while
> >> watching HDTV (no XVMC for now).
> >>
> >> Problem one: the aspect ratios are fouled with up SD is to thin, HD is
> >> too wide!!   I am on a 1920x1200 LCD in 16x9 AR.
> >>
> >> Problem two: when I try to PIP 2 SD pictures I get a seg fault. The bad
> >> file is actually 0 size.
> >>
> >> Thanks- Ed
> >>
> >> pcHDTV 3000
> >> wintv PVR-500, Samsung chip with patched kernel
> >> P4 478  3.2 GHz (ok for software HD when not doing PIP)
> >> 1 GB Ram
> >> MCE USB remote from Hauppage
> >> Nvidia 128 MB fx5900xt
> >> ECS 661GX-M 478 SiS 661 Micro ATX
> >>
> >> Some stuff from frontend below:
> >>

> >> 2006-10-25 23:04:41.665 Using protocol version 30
> >

> >Please try again with a current version of mythtv compiled from the
> >0.20-fixes branch. It appears KnoppMyth is using the old 0.20.
>
> >These issues maybe fixed in the updated version so it's best to try that.
>

> I am fairly wary of using a snapshot and I am scared to compile myth from source...
>
> I will muddle through for a while waiting for a .21 myth or new knoppmyth.  I hate PIP, but the wife says we have to have it.
>
> You would think they would put more options in, like 2 SD side by side instead of PIP.  Or 2x2 for those with four tuners???
>
> I know XVMC cannot PIP, is there any chance of that ever getting fixed or is it a XVMC limitation?  XVMC is super smooth on my box, but PIP HD + SD stutters (when it does not seg fault)
>
> And I still have not seen anyone else with aspect ratio problems using PIP.  HD+SD+widescreen display = problem?

The idea of putting more options into the code has actually been more
than mooted before - stuff like picture by picture (like PiP but side
by side), and having the feature enabled in playback of recordings
too.

I didn't try the patch talked about earlier in the year on one of the
mailing lists and I don't have much interest in such toys myself but I
can see the argument for users wanting them.

--
Justin Hornsby
Moderator of www.mythtvtalk.com and MythTV advocate.