[mythtv-users] [mythtv] Re: Ubuntu Edgy and Myth

David Fishburn fishburn at ianywhere.com
Sat Oct 28 12:18:34 UTC 2006

I am very glad you have put this together.  I have been searching through
the web and archives looking for instructions.  These are extremely easy.  I
was attempting it on Dapper, but didn't get to far.

First, this is my first install ever of MythTV.  Also, my *nix experience is
low, so my comments are towards newbie friendlyness.  I won't have an input
device but I do hope I can download my channel information and check how to
setup the box to run everything automatically.

I am running this inside of a VMWare image with the i386 install of Ubuntu
6.10.

When running this step:
sudo aptitude install mythtv-frontend gdm openbox gnome-screensaver
mysql-server mythtv-backend mythtv-database

I am prompted about Postfix Configuration.  I have read somewhere else just
to ignore this and take the defaults.  You should add a little note to
indicate this.  Just like you have for the root password for mysql, you
could add:
 - You will be asked to configure Postfix, take all defaults and choose an
email userid for yourself.

After Postfix, it launches right into "Configuring mythtv-backend".  I know
you can't do anything about this, but a note to the users might help.
Anytime there are prompts for the user, a note so they can expect it will
let them know things are progressing correctly.

I ended up with an error after this:

Setting up mysql-server (5.0.24a-9) ...
Setting up pwgen (2.05-1ubuntu1) ...
Setting up mythtv-common (0.20-0.2ubuntu2) ...

Setting up mythtv-backend (0.20-0.2ubuntu2) ...
udev active, devices will be created in /dev/.static/dev/ Starting MythTV
server: mythbackendSession management error:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed .

Setting up mythtv-database (0.20-0.2ubuntu2) ...

Setting up mythtv-doc (0.20-0.2ubuntu2) ...
Setting up mythtv-frontend (0.20-0.2ubuntu2) ...

Setting up openbox (3.3-2) ...

Setting up obconf (1.5-3) ...
Setting up xmltv-util (0.5.44-1) ...

Is it getting this error when attempting to log into the MySQL database?
I can log in via the command line:
mysql -u root
Your MySQL connection id is 14 to server version: 5.0.24a-Debian_9-log

mysql>

I continued the install hoping this is a non-fatal problem.

I was able to run:
sudo mythtv-setup
- Define at least my channel grabber information.

I can also start the frontend.

Things are looking very good, next will be the myplugins and especially
MythWeb.

Thanks for doing this.
Dave