[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR* MCE Kit - how current is the remote control?

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Fri Oct 27 19:02:37 UTC 2006

On Friday 27 October 2006 07:44, David Fishburn wrote:
> I am looking at the pictures of the remote control which comes with the
> MCE Kit:
> http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr500mcekit.html
>
> The remote control appears different from the standard Microsoft remote
> control:
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?p
>id=0 65
>
> From what I can see the layout of the keys are different.
>
> If anyone has purchased the MCE Kit with the Hauppauge's can you
> confirm: Are there different versions of the remotes?
> Is this an older version of the remote that is included with the MCE
> Kit? Or is the picture simply old and a newer version of the remote is
> part of the MCE kit packaging?
> If you have the MCE Kit remote, are you happy with it?
>
> I am just trying to figure out if I can buy the kit and I should get
> them separately.
>
> TIA.
> Dave

I have that kit. The remote is fine - there is a sample lircrc config for
it in the lircrc tree that you have to install anyway. I redefined a
couple buttons to my taste, and the sample file suggests some Myth key
changes which I also did. I had to redefine the Myth definition for Mute
to use '|' instead of F9 because Myth won't recognize my F9 key. Just last
night I redefind the Windows button to bring up the EPG menu. I do find it
a bit large and gratuitously rounded for where I like to keep it on my
desk, but that's a quibble.

But... I am not at all impressed with the tuner, at least the latest
revision with the Samsung tuners. Windows and Linux people both have
problems with poor quality picture. I have read everything I can about
Myth, IVTV, XP-MCE, Sage, improving signal strength, anywhere I could get
a clue about what to do and I've come to the conclusion that this card is
going to be a continual disappointment so I'm looking to return it in
favour of something else, just not sure what yet.