[mythtv-users] Distro

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 16:31:09 UTC 2006

I highly recommend gentoo as the installation of MythTV (along with
upgrading even via svn source) is completly painless. This is actually the
reason why I moved to gentoo in the first palce in May of 2004. I found that
back then installing MythTV on mandrake and fedora was torture considering
that I wanted to run it on a dual processor athlon mp box and actually
wanted to use smp. After fiddling with myth for several weeks on both, I
moved to gentoo, installed the os and a simple emerge mythtv downloaded and
installed mythtv and all the dependencies that I needed and I was using smp.
Then there was a very little bit of configuring of mysql and myth and I was
up and running in a few hours instead of the game of rpm hell... I do note
that this is much better now on the other distros now though.

John

On 10/27/06, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> Wondering which distro is giving people the least frustrations. I
> considered doing KoppMyth, but is this something I can easily change/
> add to when required?
>
> Some background as to why I'm giving up on Fedora:
> I was running FC4 for a long time with no problem until one day LVM
> decided to trash my superblocks - yes, EVERY superblock on my disk.
> All that work is now gone. So I tried FC5 on a new disk. Ran into
> dependencies that couldn't be resolved. bind conflicted with some
> other package and kept trying to re-download the 600MB of packages
> every time I tried. After the 4th time of adding/removing packages to
> solve dependencies, I gave up. Then I couldn't get nvidia driver to
> load. No idea why. I was too frustrated to find out. So I go back to
> FC4 and haven't been able to get yum upgrade to finish after 2.5 days
> of trying. 403's, 404's, parser errors. Forget it. It's not worth it.

John M. Drescher