[mythtv-users] Hybrid Digital-Analogue cards

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Oct 27 14:00:46 UTC 2006

Simon Kenyon wrote:
> Duncan wrote:
>> Hi list.
>>
>> Unfortunatly I am subjected to another couple of years of analogue
>> broadcasts on some of our commercial stations - I really need to add
>> another card to my setup I would prefer a hybrid card if possible
>> (dvb-t / Analogue). I`ve had a bit of a look thru the lists for cards
>> of this nature and found very little on the topic.

You should remember that digital streams do not require any handling,
while analog streams must be compressed. The better analog cards have on
board chips to do that. Therefore they put no strain on your backend
machine. So, for example, using the HD3000 in analog mode requires that
your backend encode the stream, in real time.
Since you can buy a PVR150 for about a half a kilo-buck, your best
course may well be to bite that bullet and buy a card. Lots of grief and
problems avoided.

Geoff