[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Edgy and Myth

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Oct 27 13:48:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 03:38:24PM +0200, Andreas Johansson wrote:
> I would like a section on the wiki for Backend and Regular Desktop if
> possible. Im going to make a new setup at home using my main computer as a

	What are you expecting to see?

	MythTV is just an application.

	Tuners and ir-blasters are just peripherals.

	One set of apps and peripherals doesn't negate the ability to run
another. Due to the default apps installed on Ubuntu64, my MythTV backend
just happens to be a suitable destkop.

	The backend doesn't use any of the normal input devices or the
monitory, so it's transparent to desktop use. Infact, you could test
out MythTV (getting your feet wet) with your current desktop machine.

	I did that with my "primary desktop". Now that I have an actual
backend box, that "primary desktop" can (and does)  run as another
frontend. All you need to do is change the stuff in ~/.mythtv so the
frontend knows to connect to the separate backend.

> backend and desktop but then have a smaller frontend box in my tv room.

	Does the wiki adequately address getting mysql listening to the
rest of the home network? I found this was the most problematic part of
setting up remote frontends. A good section on NFS would be nice too if
it's not already there.