[mythtv-users] Mysql not starting

Matthew Asplund mattasplund at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 16:04:11 UTC 2006

I rebooted my Ubuntu Dapper Drake/mythtv0.20 setup this morning, and it
isn't restarting correctly.  I cannot start up mythbackend because it says
that mysql is not running (which is correct).  I try running
/etc/init.d/mysql start and it times out starting msqladmin, because it
cannot connect to the socket.  I try running mysqld as root, and (sudo
/usr/sbin/msqld) and it says it cannot start because the port is already
bound to a process, and to check that a mysql server is already running.  ps
-aux | grep sql shows nothing running.

I am not sure what to do.  How do I find out what is blocking access to the
port?  I have done several updates from binary .debs from the one apt
repository (I cannot remember the address, and I am at work, so I cannot
look up the address, it may have been the iowa state one, but it might have
been another).

(This is only a crisis, because The Office is on tonight, and my son has a
concert, though I can record it another way if I have to.)

Matthew Asplund