[mythtv-users] colour "sharpness" question

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Thu Oct 26 02:15:51 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 17 October 2006 20:17, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> I am a real new with Myth, and have had almost a year's experience using
> another tuner (ATI TV All-In-Wonder) on Windows as the only "TV" I've
> ever owned in a long while. I bought a PVR-500MCE kit and a cheapo new
> box for it. I have a question about how my colours appear different on
> my old machine vs my new machine.
>
> The best way I can describe the difference is that the old picture looks
> like video while the new picture looks like film. I don't know if it's
> the tuner card, or the video card, or the monitors, or some settings.
> Since I was so used to the old machine, the new one is an adjustment,
> and since I've never A/B-ed either machine with a regular TV I don't
> know what's real.
>
> Can anyone give me an idea of what to look at?

To follow up for posterity...

After Googling and trying a whole lot of things (settings, swapping
hardware around) I am resigned to the fact that the PVR-500 I have uses a
Samsung tuner which seems to be more sensitive to signal strength than an
earlier version that used a Philips tuner. While the IVTV folks know about
this so far there doesn't appear to be a software fix on the horizon and
there may never be. So for now I live with the picture way it is and am
looking into a cable amplifier - cheaper than ditching the 500 and getting
2 250s.