[mythtv-users] yum failing - cannot find a valid baseurl

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 19:57:09 UTC 2006

On 25/10/06, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 October 2006 12:50, Trey Thompson wrote:
> > I started getting this yesterday after being out of town for 4 days:
> > [root at mythtvbe conf]# yum install perl-Video-DVDRip
> > Setting up Install Process
> > Setting up repositories
> > atrpms
> > [1/5] atrpms                    100% |=========================|  951 B
> >   00:00 core
> >     [2/5] Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
> > Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
> >
> > So, I searched the list, and google.  I disabled some of the repos so
> > that I could get something else from atrpms.net, and that appeared to
> > have worked fine.  But, I re-enabled everything, and I still get the
> > same error above.
> >
> > I checked the file datestamps for the repos before I made any changes,
> > and they were the original configs from the install a few months ago.
>
> Your config is OK. Both the mirrors and repos are hosted by
> fedora.redhat.com and since yesterday afternoon they've had a page up
> saying they've been smoked by the Core 6 traffic. So you can't get to the
> repos or the list of mirror sites to go look elsewhere. It seems that once
> the core repo can't be reached yum just croaks.

If the baseurl and mirrorlist URLs cannot be reached, there's nothing
else that yum can do.

The first thing I do after installing Fedora is edit the repo
information and set the baseurl for the Fedora repositories to a local
non-Redhat mirror (both to reduce the burden on the RH servers and
give me faster local transfers).

You can also specify more than one repository location (man yum.conf)
and with an appropriate failover setting you shouldn't have any
problems if the RH servers go offline.

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki: