[mythtv-users] Will moving to DDR-400 memory from DDR-333 improve performance?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Wed Oct 25 02:27:55 UTC 2006

Leighton Brough <brough at baremetalsoft.com> says:
>  From memory, the list of things I can remember folks suggesting on this
> topic:

[Lengthy and detailed list of suggestions snipped. I've been using
MythTV for almost a year now and so already do or am aware of
everything Leighton suggests, but the list is definitely worthwhile
for newcomers to high-definition MythTV setups. (Won't stop people
from asking before searching, of course.)]

> 12) Try different clocksources. The newer kernels have been
> significantly reworked in this regard and there are differences for the
> SMP kernels (as we are both using).

As the great American philosopher Homer J. Simpson put it, "Your ideas
are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter." This
is one I hadn't heard of (and which, other than you, no one has raised
on the mailing lists.)

> "cat
> /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksources"
> will tell you what you can use. "echo XXX > .../current_clocksource"
> can be used to set it.

Unfortunately, that /sys/.../available_clocksources and
/current_clocksource don't exist on my Fedora 4 2.6.17-kernel
system. I haven't disabled ACPI in GRUB, either.

> I would love to hear from folks who've nailed the problem of HD
> playback, and what did the trick.

HD playback on my system is, generally speaking, great! And perfect,
too. It's just the skips when there are multiple recording streams
that are annoying, as brief (a second or so each time) and infrequent
(one every 45-90 seconds) as they are, that I can't figure out. I
don't know what occurs at those moments to cause mythplayback's CPU
share to jump to 99.9% before returning right back to the 50-70% norm.