[mythtv-users] Google ate my recordings

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Tue Oct 24 18:30:36 UTC 2006

Carl Fongheiser wrote:
> On 10/24/06, *Glenn Chubak* <glenn at saskatoon.com
> <mailto:glenn at saskatoon.com>> wrote:
>

>     I would have thought that mythweb "Are you sure?" dialogs would have
>     stopped
>     the googlebot but it doesn't seem so.  If anyone is interested I can
>     post the
>     access logs from apache.
>

> Those dialogs only happen if the browser is Javascript enabled.
> Needless to say, the robots don't execute the Javascript code. For the
> future, you'll probably want to password-protect MythWeb.  It's also a
> good idea to put a robots.txt file at the top level of your web server's
> document tree.  For details, look here:
> http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/robots.html
>
> Finally, I strongly recommend not having your MythWeb installation
> exposed directly to the Internet.  That invites all kinds of trouble.
>
> Carl Fongheiser

A slightly better method (aside from password protecting), although not
foolproof, is to make  the directory hidden by prefacing it with a
period, i.e. .mythweb instead of mythweb, and not linking it anywhere. I
have been running it like that for years and never lost a recording to
bots. My path is NOT .mythweb, btw, so don't bother looking... :)

Tom