[mythtv-users] universal remotes?

Drew Sanford lauasanf at wilderness.homeip.net
Tue Oct 24 16:58:29 UTC 2006

Robin Neatherway wrote:
>> The Harmony is nowhere near as much of a pain as you think it might be.
>> I have had one for a good long while now (made the people at the local
>> electronics store go in the back and find me one when they first came
>> out) and haven't had any problems with it. They can be a little hard on
>> batteries though.
>
> Those of you with the Harmony, how is the configuration software
> usability-wise? Can you set up macros easily, and how much memory does
> it have for learning and user-defined macros?
>
> Thanks,
> Robin
Robin,
The software is pretty straight forward. Essentially it asks you for the
model you have of a particular piece of equipment you're setting up, and
it downloads the command set from the online DB. For macro creation, it
asks you to select devices you have set up, and the state they should
end up in when you run the macro. Again, very easy. As far as space,
again, I have one of the earliest units, and I've never run out of space
with 2 cd players, a dvd player, a dvr, stereo receiver, vcr, TV, and
something else I'm forgetting. Also, the database of equipment that it
has command sets for his quite large. The reason I got the remote is
because it is compatable with my 12 year old receiver that the remote
quit working on. Since I couldn't get a "Universal" remote that was
pre-programmed for the receiver, I checked into things, and this was the
only good solution I could find. I do not regret that I jumped so
quickly on this solution and paid a premium for it.