[mythtv-users] universal remotes?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Tue Oct 24 15:27:54 UTC 2006

Laurence Sanford wrote:
> Robin Neatherway wrote:
>> What universal remotes do people use, and preferably, which ones have
>> they had good experiences with? I would like to get one, ideally for
>> under £100, that is very configurable (macros etc), and also
>> preferably not a Harmony as the web-based software looks like an
>> absolute pain.
>>

> The Harmony is nowhere near as much of a pain as you think it might be.
> I have had one for a good long while now (made the people at the local
> electronics store go in the back and find me one when they first came
> out) and haven't had any problems with it. They can be a little hard on
> batteries though.

I have only ever used a Sony RMVL1000
(http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=157697),
and I love it. It takes awhile to set it up, but once you do, it's
excellent. I think I change the batteries on it once a year, if that,
and it doesn't lose the settings when the batteries die. Maybe not the
prettiest, but I personally find the Harmony remotes un-attractive.

Tom