[mythtv-users] Database problem?

Peter Crighton mythtv at p-cright.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 24 11:03:46 UTC 2006

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:24:49 -0400, you wrote:

>Peter Crighton wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 11:56:23 -0400, you wrote:
>>

>>> Peter Crighton wrote:
>>>

>>> I just quickly read through the previous posts, so forgive me  if I
>>> missed something. I was seeing the same problem last night, and it was
>>> an IP issue. What user are you running mythtv-setup as? It appears that
>>> you are using 'peter'. You should run mythtv under the 'mythtv' user, as
>>> that will simplify things. If this is a combined frontend/backend, you
>>> should use '127.0.0.1' as the database server config in mythtv-setup. As
>>> user mythtv, you should be able to run
>>>

>> I don't have a mythtv user (i.e. I login to Mandriva as peter). I do
>> now have mythtv as the user in the database configuration screen that
>> appears when I run mythtv-setup and get the database failure.
>>
>Good.
>> I have 127.0.0.1 as the host name in the database configuration
>> screen.
>>
>Good.
>> It is a combined front/back end - once I have a stand-alone machine
>> working I intend to add more, but one at a time to start with! I did
>> try other settings to the above until advised not to here.
>>
>> Should I create a user mythtv with password mythtv? I thought that any
>> normal user could run the program?
>>
>You shouldn't have to, but it may make things easier.
>

>>> mysql -umythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
>>>
>>> and get into Mysql. If that does not work, then it is likely that the
>>> permissions are not setup correctly in Mysql.
>>>

>> That does get into mysql and "status" reports database mythconverg and
>> user  mythtv at localhost as I expect.
>>
>Ok, good.
>>
>>> Also, what is the contents of /home/{user running
>>> mythtv-setup}/.mythtv/mysql.txt?
>>>

>> DBHostName=127.0.0.1
>> DBUserName=mythtv
>> DBPassword=mythtv
>> DBName=mythconverg
>> DBType=QMYSQL3
>>
>> # Set the following if you want to use something other than the
>> # machine's real hostname for identifying settings in the database.
>> # This is useful if your hostname changes often, as otherwise
>> # you'll need to reconfigure mythtv (or futz with the DB) every time.
>> # TWO HOSTS MUST NOT USE THE SAME VALUE
>> #
>> #LocalHostName=my-unique-identifier-goes-here
>>
>> # If you want your frontend to be able to wake your MySQL server
>> # using WakeOnLan, have a look at the following settings:
>> #
>> # Set the time the frontend waits (in seconds) between reconnect
>> tries.
>> # This should be the rough time your MySQL server needs for startup
>> #WOLsqlReconnectWaitTime=0
>> #
>> #
>> # This is the amount of retries to wake the MySQL server until the
>> frontend
>> # gives up
>> #WOLsqlConnectRetry=5
>> #
> [...]

Someone (off the list) who had the same problem suggesting installing
"urpmi libqt3-mysq" as it then fixed the problem.

I found the package relevant (I believe) to Mandriva 2006.0
(libqt3-mysql-3.3.4-23mdk.i586.rpm) and installed it.

I note that "status" in mysql with the mythconverg database loaded is
mysql Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.12.

Is there an issue with the mysql version that is running?
--

Peter Crighton