[mythtv-users] How the heck do I pick a power supply???

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 23 17:32:48 UTC 2006

On Monday 23 October 2006 13:52, Mercury Morris wrote:
> On 10/22/06, Stephen Boddy <stephen.boddy at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > I third the seasonics. I've a 350W in the FE and a 430W in the backend.
> > They're exceptionally quiet. To give an idea of power draw, my backend
> > has: 2500 Barton, 1GB RAM, 3 DVB-T Tuners, gigabit NIC, two disk
> > controllers, 7 hard drives, a DVD+/-RW, a 6600GT, 3 120mm fans and 1 80mm
> > fan. (phew! I think that's everything.)
>
> Hey, that's one impressive Backend (no innuendo intended!).
>
> Would you give us a few more details?  Specifically, which case are
> you using that allows seven hard drives?  I finally settled on the
> Antec SLK3000B, because it has no power supply but has a very nice
> cage for five hard drives.  The cage is easily removed/replaced with
> only the SATA signal and power cables having to be disconnected.  No
> other components get in the way of the cage.
>
> Thanks.

Its the CoolerMaster Stacker. Awesome case. It's a huge full size tower, with
11 top to bottom 5¼" inch bays. Then I have two disk cages that take up three
bays each. These soft mount 4 x 3½" drives, and have a 120mm fan to blow air
over the HD's. Drives and cages have a tool-less rail system for easy in and
out (once cables are disconnected). Mine is black and silver, has castors to
move it around (you really don't want to try lifting it) and it just looks
the biz.

http://www.coolermaster-europe.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=STC-T01&other_title=STC-T01CM%20Stacker

is the model I have, but mine looks more like the picture of

http://www.coolermaster-europe.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=RC-810&other_title=RC-810CM%20Stacker%20810

And just in case you're curious, the disk setup is a bit of a mongrel.
	1 x 80GB system disk
	3 x 250GB PATA + 3 x 250GB SATA
The 6 x 250GB disks are setup in a single software RAID 5. This gives me a
1.2TB partition using xfs.

As it is setup right now, I have a spare slot in one cage (+1 HD), and could
add another cage (+4 HD's) if I needed to.

At some point in the future I'm going to buy a proper HW RAID SATA card
(something like the 12 port 3ware card, and I'll buy fewer high capacity
drives (i.e. 500GB or 750GB disks) to replace the collection of 250GB'ers.
--
Steve Boddy