[mythtv-users] read only tables

mythtv-users mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk
Sun Oct 22 20:07:31 UTC 2006

> On 10/22/06 12:13, mythtv-users wrote:
>
>>FWIW I've got mine setup to automatically check (and repair if needed)
>> the
>>database on startup by using the command
>>
>>/usr/bin/mysqlcheck -r -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg
>>
>>before mythbackend starts, I did have it setup originally to detect an
>>unclean shutdown but thought wtf, it's easier just to check every time as
>>it adds all of about 7sec to the startup time.
>>

> I recommend using optimize_mythdb.pl (from the contrib directory of the
> source distribution), instead.  As it says in the comments, the
> recommended usage is as a daily cron job (and, in a cron job, can shave
> 7s off the startup time for those days when you're restarting it over
> and over--i.e. for upgrades or whatever).

You shouldn't need to repair tables unless you've had a crash, if you have
a crash you want it fixed when you reboot, _NOT_ upto 24 hours later[1]!

Not a bad idea to run optimize_mythdb.pl daily from cron but that really
should be for optimisation rather than repair.

As for restarting it over and over, what? This is linux not windows! If
you really want that 7sec back it's dead easy to just detect an unclean
shutdown and only run it then but I prefer to know that the database will
come up cleanly.

David

[1] Assuming worst case machine crashes at the same time as the cron tob
is scheduled.