[mythtv-users] flashing/flickering on playback after pause

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Oct 22 15:55:14 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 10:50 -0700, Joe Votour wrote:
> <snip>
> Myself and a couple of others are seeing this on 6150 chipsets, yet I
> don't recall seeing it on my old 5200FX.  In both cases, I'm using the VGA
> output to my HD monitor, with the same modelines (unfortunately, the
> monitor does not have a DVI or HDMI connector).
I think there may be two different problems being discussed in the thread
one is a modeline problem, and the other sounds like a driver problem.

> That said, if I'm setting my monitor to 720p (according to the monitor,
> that is it's optimum resolution, although it also supports 1080i), I
> should be getting 60 frames per second at 60Hz, when watching 720p
> content, correct?  I would then use de-interlacing to watch my 29.97fps SD
> content or my 1080i HD content at the 720p resolution, right?
If you are driving the monitor a 720p you should not be getting any
field reversals, and yes you do need a deinterlacer for any interlaced
content. Using a 60Hz modeline will either cause the audio to be
degraded or cause a frame to be displayed twice every few seconds.
Which one depends on whether you are syncing audio to video or syncing
video to audio. The first is the default, unless you are using AC3
passthrough, and causes a frame to be repeated every few seconds.
This artifact is not noticed by most people, and when noticed is
only noticed when there is a lot of motion in the frame.

> (At the moment however, I'm using a 540p modeline, because my HD monitor
> reports that it is truly giving me 60Hz, whereas my 720p modeline gives me
> 59.9Hz.  Not really sure how much of a difference that 0.1Hz makes.)
See above.

If you are seeing any major problems, they are probably driver bugs
not mode-line problems.

FYI I'm using an 6600 without these problems with the 8774 drivers.

-- Daniel