[mythtv-users] DVD playback setup

William Munson wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Sat Oct 21 17:14:35 UTC 2006

Scott Farrand wrote:
> Right after 0.20 came out, I upgraded from 0.19.1 to 0.20.  The first
> challenge was how to reset the theme as the theme I'd been using wasn't
> installed any longer and that caused the front end to freak out.  Now I have
> a secondary problem that I'm hoping someone on this list can help me with.
>
> My system is an Athlon 64 3200+, FX7600GS, Hauppauge PVR-500MCE, sound
> blaster Live (connected to my tv via component video, and to my home theater
> via spdif/coax).  OS is Ubuntu Dapper.
>
> Much of the system appears to work great - e.g. live TV, recording 2
> programs simultaneously, playing mp3 audio files or divx/xvid encoded video
> all seem to work great.  My challenges are directly related to working with
> DVD's.  I haven't attempted authoring at this point - actually my Sony
> DW-Q30A drive isn't an option when attempting to choose the recording
> device... but that's a topic for a different thread.  Note that if I login
> with an desktop session and use Xine to watch DVD's it works fine - though I
> haven't figured out AC3 pass through as yet.
>
> Under Myth 0.20, I experience the following:
>
> 1) When I try to watch a DVD I get video output accompanied by many, MANY
> audio clicks, but no distinguishable audio from the DVD.
>
> 2) When I try to go into DVD Playback settings, the front end crashes.
>
> My suspicion on the DVD playback settings from 0.19 causing the front end to
> crash because I upgraded from 0.19 to 0.20... Is there something simple I
> can do to fix this?

Try going into the dvd player setup page and set the desired file types
to use "Internal" as the player. I suspect your old settings are messing
with you. When I looked at my settings there were two entries for each
filetype. I deleted all the old ones and used the default setting of
Internal for all the common filetypes. It seems to work well and the
sound goes out the spdif port like I want.