[mythtv-users] image of mythtv system

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 03:56:25 UTC 2006

> I want to make an exact image of my mythtv box and put it on a dvd. If
> something
> goes wrong, I do not want to install everything from the beginning again.
> First, how do you make an image from a system? (if possible, I think it is
> possible :))
> Assuming, I made the image and later successfully, re-deployed the image.
> Again,
> assuming no hardware change, will it work as before?

When doing a big upgrade I boot the PC using a sysrescuecd CD boot
disk which lets me back up an image of the partitions. Home page is at
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page. I actually just back up / and
/boot. I don't backup the recordings. Then if there's a stuff up in
the upgrade I can easiily restore these partition images so I'm back
to where I was before.

Pros:
 - relatively simple to use. The UI is not great but once you know how
to use it it's easy and reliable.
- I've restored using this method many times and it always works without fail.
- Let's you write the backup image to a samba share on another box.

Cons:
- have to reboot the machine to do a backup or a restore so it's no
good as a regular backup strategy. It's more a one-off thing.
- have to backup/restore each partition individually. You can't back
up the whole lot into one image.

Regards,
Phill