[mythtv-users] Channels not showing up in the "right" place [PARTIALLY-SOLVED]

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat Oct 21 03:25:43 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 10/20/06 12:48, Rob Kaufman wrote:
>
>>  My wife mentioned that our local channels where missing from MythTV.
>> We have DirectTV, so all channels come through satellite, but the
>> channels that are also broadcast over the air (ABC, NBC, FOX, etc) are
>> what she means by local channels.  I looked at DataDirect and they
>> appear to be correct.  After some serious digging around I discovered
>> that the problem is mythfilldatabase expects the XMLTVID to be unique
>> for each channel.
>>
> Yes.  The xmltvid is a unique identifier that allows syncing XMLTV data
> (or XMLTV-like data, such as DataDirect data) to a channel in the MythTV
> database.  However, you can define multiple channels with the same xmltvid.
>
>>  It is not if the station appears on more than one
>> channel.

Correct, and that's is okay. The same broadcast station with
the same listings ID may be carried over more than one carrier
signal.

> Because it /is/ the same channel--just different channel numbers.  See,
> also, http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/150626#150626 .

Doh! =) The same "station" [sic] --just different channel numbers

>>  For instance my DataDirect was set up with KPBS on channel
>> 15 AND on channel 971 (which I don't receive).  What would happen was
>> the database would get update  both database rows first to channum 15
>> and then to channum 971.
>>
> mfdb ignores channum and, normally (see below), only adds channels whose
> xmltvid,  given by DataDirect's stationid (which is identical for 15 and
> 971 on your lineup), doesn't already appear in the DB.  So, if you have
> channel 971 defined, it won't create a new 15.  If you have 15 defined,
> it won't create a new 971.
>
>>  This can be (partially) solved by removing
>> the high number channels from zap2it.

Correct. Also remove ch 971 from your channel table.

> However, they will be reselected if you allow mfdb to update your lineup
> (i.e. with digital sources or with --remove-new-channels for analog
> sources) when there are channels on the lineup that aren't in the Myth
> database.  But, having both selected has no effect on the mythtv
> database (except as described below) and only results in a tiny amount
> of additional data in the DataDirect download (i.e. a few kB
> uncompressed for 50 duplicate channels).
>
>>  I would like to propose a more
>> complete solution would be to change the updates from being this:
>> UPDATE channel SET callsign  = 'KPBS',  name   = 'KPBS',     channum
>> = '15',   freqid = 15,     atsc_major_chan = 15,     atsc_minor_chan =
>> 0 WHERE xmltvid = '10637' AND sourceid = 1;
>>
>> to:
>> UPDATE channel SET callsign  = 'KPBS',  name   = 'KPBS',     channum
>> = '15',   freqid = 15,     atsc_major_chan = 15,     atsc_minor_chan =
>> 0 WHERE xmltvid = '10637' AND freqid = 15 AND sourceid = 1

Naw. There are valid situations where the same station ID is
supposed to be used for more than one row in the channel table.
Your correct solution is above; remove the channel [sic] that
you don't receive from your zap2it lineup and remove the bogus
channel [sic] from myth. You can do this either with mythtv-setup
Channel editor or with mysql.

> If this doesn't work for you, please let me know, because I'm pretty
> certain it's all working correctly when the proper update procedure is
> followed.

Yep.

--  bjm