[mythtv-users] image of mythtv system

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sat Oct 21 03:18:22 UTC 2006

On Friday 20 October 2006 20:53, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2006, at 8:18 PM, Bilge Tutak wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I want to make an exact image of my mythtv box and put it on a dvd.
>

> But you do bring up a common problem, and it would be interesting to
> know how users are backing up (or not backing up) their various Myth
> systems.

I don't have any video to backup yet, and aren't really a collector that
way. But, I just recently got Myth running well enough that I'd miss it if
it failed so I use rsync to grab /etc, /home, /root, and a list of all
RPMS I have installed (after pruning out ones I didn't want). I figure the
database will need to be rebuilt anyway on a new setup, so rebuild it from
scratch. Things I have customized (like channels icons, which took me 2
hours last night) get picked up by rsync. When the box croaks I'll
re-install RedHat from CDs, use Yum to get the rest, and put my config
files back in place as I follow Jarrod's HowTo, and I should be mostly
good to go. I may add a couple other things to the rsync list if they
don't look rebuildable. The Myth Wiki has a page about backups, with a
link to a database-dump script, which may be useful to capture things like
scheduled recordings.