[mythtv-users] Error was encountered while displaying video

jeff news at propixs.com
Sat Oct 21 02:21:07 UTC 2006

Geoff Newell wrote:
> I get this error frequently as well. Usually about 7 times a day. My
> wife thinks MythTV is dodge but this is the only problem I have with
> an otherwise amazing product.
>
> The error occurs under the following circumstances:
> 1)  Watching liveTV when a new liveTV program starts. (Suspect new
> file creation)
> 2)  Watching liveTV when a to-be recorded program starts recording
>
> It never happens during playback of pre-recorded programs. It is
> limited to LiveTV.
>
> I am running MythTV 0.20 with the following specifics:
> a)  ext3 File system with LVM
> b)  Software RAID striped hard disks for /mythtv/video partition -
> hdparm reporting 110MB/s.
> c)  DVICO Fusion HDTV Dual Channel PCI Card
> d)  Pentium 2.4GHz / 512MB RAM and NVDIA 5500FX graphics card.
> e)  Fedora Core 5 - kernel 2.6.17-1.2187_FC5
>
> It used to happen frequently with 0.19 also and I had high hopes for
> 0.20 but alas it still occurs.
>
> The effect of this error is:
> 1) Display of liveTV stops with the "Error was encountered while
> displaying video"
> 2) Programs due to be recorded are aborted and display of Live TV
> stops. (I have 2 channels so this should work sweet).
>
> Can anyone shed some light on what seems to be a common problem?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Geoff.
>
> P.S. When I go to delete pre-recorded shows, I experience a 5second
> delay for an hour long show. ext3 is slower than xfs at deleting
> programs. I wonder if this is related to the above problem.

I've have this problem too but only when watching HD LiveTV.  I too had
hoped it would be fixed.  Guess they still don't have the bugs worked
out of the livetv recording change they made in .19.   And I was/am
using xfs so I don't think thats your problem.

 I wounder how hard it would be to make a patch that just kept recording
to the same file instead of switching at the show break, even if it
wasn't a loop (ie ring buffer) and just allow the file to switch at the
8 hour limit for a single file ( I do believe that is the max).

I like the feature of recording a whole show even after you've watched
it live, but not at the cost of the TV locking up.

Jeff