[mythtv-users] Hardware vs. Software audio decoding (AC3/DTS)

Alan Marchiori alan at alanmarian.com
Fri Oct 20 14:10:02 UTC 2006

I am in the process of designing my frontend system.  My first instinct was
to send all audio out thru SPDIF to my receiver to be decoded.  But then I
got to thinking that many motherboards now have 6+ channel outputs, and
there are many cheap PCI sound cards as well.  Considering the problems I
have read about getting SPDIF passthru to work properly; would it be easier
to just use the 6 ch analog outputs straight into a 5/7 ch amp?  As an added
bonus there is no receiver to mess with which might reduce the cost of my
final setup.

So how is the software decoding of AC3/DTS?  Does it compare well to a good
quality AV receiver?

Thanks in advance,