[mythtv-users] Getting a Motorola 6200 Box from Chicago Comcast

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 13:45:00 UTC 2006

On 10/19/06, Dewey Smolka <dsmolka at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/19/06, Matt Garman <matthew.garman at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm living in the Chicago area and have (because they are the only
> > choice) Comcast for high speed internet and cable TV.
> >

> > As I've discovered by searching the mythtv archives, Chicagoland
> > Comcast's distribution is almost all digital, and as such, requires a
> > set-top box.  The box they gave me is a General Instrument.
> > Unfortunately, this STB has neither firewire nor any working outputs
> > that will work with my PVR-150.
>
> The box must have an RF output -- how else would you hook it up to a TV?
>

> > I called to see if I could get one of the Motorola boxes (I believe I
> > want the 6200 high-def box).  I can rent it for $4.99/month, which I
> > can tolerate.  But they won't give me the box unless I upgrade my
> > service, which costs another $20/month!
>
> They're lying to you. The hi-def plan for the extra $20 is a different
> deal than the DCT-6200 for $5.
>

> > So has anyone out there figured out a way to obtain the box without
> > the premium service?  I didn't speak to a manager on the phone, but
> > the customer service rep claimed she asked one... so, dunno if I
> > should keep calling with the hope that another rep will do this for
> > me, or pursue some other avenue.
>
> They're lying to you and trying to upsell you. Some tactics you might try:
>
> 1) Ask to speak to a manager. It that fails, demand to speak to
> manager. Be polite but firm.
>
> 2) Remind the manager that Comcast is required by the FCC to carry OTA
> HD channels in the clear, and that those channels must be available
> over firewire.

not true, the FCC only requires they carry ANALOG over the air signals
in the free and clear, it says nothing of digital OTA.

> And they're required to provide a capable STB to any
> customer who requests it. Here's the relevant regulations:
> http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/12feb20041500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/pdf/47cfr76.640.pdf
>
> http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-03-225A1.pdf
>
> Reference page 50.

while it does say they must provide firewire capable and remote
control command passthrough, it doesn't specifically state that the
cable company MUST give you one, only that they must have an adequate
supply to provide them and that they must make access to them
convenient.

So, they could say that since you are not subscribing to any channels
that require the box that they won't give you one.

> 3) Threaten to file a formal complaint with the Chicago Cable Commission.
>
> 4) Threaten to cancel service. Point out that Dish + DSL is much
> cheaper than what they're offering. (This may even get you a lower
> rate for the next few months).

except that Satellite charges much more for access to even the local
HD channels than you would end up spending on the HD cable package.

One tactic to use is to tell them that you have an HDTV with only one
non-HD input (ie only one SVideo input but several HDMI inputs and
firewire) and that the SVideo input is being used by your
VCR/Playstation 2/etc and so you want the Motorola so that you can
continue to use their service.

I also find that if you just go to the local office to pick up the box
they are more likely to not care why you want the box. Just take your
old box back and tell them you'd like to upgrade to the Motorola HD
box they have. Since they're not being monitored or recorded they'll
just do it without changing your service level.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!