[mythtv-users] configuring HDHomerun channels

Joshua M Thompson funaho at jurai.org
Fri Oct 20 02:03:52 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 17:59 -0600, Greg Woods wrote:

> My problem, which I cannot seem to get past, is that frequently it gets
> into a state where any attempt to access an HDHomerun channel, including
> at least one channel that I watched for 20 minutes already so I know
> it's good, gets a blue screen with "An error occurred while displaying
> video". It seems to be semi-random. Once it gets into this mode, the
> error occurs any time I try to access an HDHR channel. Even restarting
> the frontend and/or backend has no effect. But if I come back half an
> hour later, it may work again. So it sort of works, but it's not really
> reliable enough to use.

I'm running 11532 + my OpenCable patch (since superseded by the official
ones) and so far the back end has been rock solid. I'm recording several
shows a day off my digital cable through the HDHomeRun now and it's done
every one perfectly. I'm recording both native ATSC channels (local HD
stations) and pure MPEG streams (SCIFI & COMEDY primarily.)

I *have* noticed some occasional hangs on the front end; they seem to be
most common during or after watching an HD stream, but I've had them
happen even when watching channels through my PVR350 so it doesn't seem
to be an HDHR problem.

I've also occasionally had the front end simply exit back to the main
menu when trying to enter live TV, but again it seems to be purely a
front end issue as the back end simply logs a connection and then a dead
socket. My starting channel always comes up on the PVR350 too so again I
don't think this is an HDHR problem.

This weekend I'm going to upgrade my SVN and then see how things look
then; if I still see the weirdness I'll break out the debugger and see
if I can figure out what's going on.

> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]00 motion_type at 4 11
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]00 motion_type at 2 12
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]slice mismatch
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]invalid mb type in P Frame at 5 14
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]ac-tex damaged at 5 16
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]mb incr damaged
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]ac-tex damaged at 19 17
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]ac-tex damaged at 1 18
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]ac-tex damaged at 5 19
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]ac-tex damaged at 2 20
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]ac-tex damaged at 1 21
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]invalid cbp at 1 22
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]mb incr damaged
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]ac-tex damaged at 0 24
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]ac-tex damaged at 1 25
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]00 motion_type at 1 26
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]ac-tex damaged at 0 27
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]ac-tex damaged at 0 28
> [mpeg2video @ 0x7d1fc4]00 motion_type at 8 29

This looks like a damaged MPEG stream. Maybe you have an intermittent
noise problem on your line or a defective HDHomeRun. A hardware problem
would definitely explain why fiddling with the software side of things
doesn't help when it starts acting up.

--
Joshua M Thompson <funaho at jurai.org>