[mythtv-users] Transcoding advice -- stuttery video, tearing, nausea

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Oct 19 22:37:33 UTC 2006

On Oct 19, 2006, at 4:27 PM, Pete Cap wrote:

> Second, if I try to transcode while the box is recording, the
> resulting recording will be stuttery.  I'm using a PVR-150 which
> should be doing all the encoding with little or no hit to system
> resources that I'm aware of; is transcoding THAT intensive?

You can change the niceness level of the transcode jobs, you might
try increasing the niceness (lowering the priority) and see if that
helps. You don't mention how much CPU you have available, if it's
very limited you might be getting into trouble there.

Or your problem might be with disk access, not CPU. Although the PVR
does the encoding it still has to be able to write to the drives
system at a fairly good rate.

I had a problem with stuttery recordings if I tried to make two of
them at once, this was solved by adjusting the PCI latency values of
my drive controllers, I can now make 4 at once with a transcode job
running without problems.

Check out:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/PCI_Latency

But as always YMMV, some folks have had no luck at all with latency
adjustments, just depends on whether that is your weak link I guess.

You might also use hdparm to see if your drives are performing up to
par (DMA enabled etc.).