[mythtv-users] colour "sharpness" question

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Thu Oct 19 18:00:23 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 17 October 2006 20:17, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> I am a real new with Myth, and have had almost a year's experience using
> another tuner (ATI TV All-In-Wonder) on Windows as the only "TV" I've
> ever owned in a long while. I bought a PVR-500MCE kit and a cheapo new
> box for it. I have a question about how my colours appear different on
> my old machine vs my new machine.
>
> The best way I can describe the difference is that the old picture looks
> like video while the new picture looks like film. I don't know if it's
> the tuner card, or the video card, or the monitors, or some settings.
> Since I was so used to the old machine, the new one is an adjustment,
> and since I've never A/B-ed either machine with a regular TV I don't
> know what's real.
>
> Can anyone give me an idea of what to look at?

... various good answers that made me look around more ...

Could it be that Myth is mistaken about my screen resolution? I was going
through the Appearances setup and there's an option to use separate
resolutions. The offered resolutions were the desktop resolution I used to
set up Myth originally (1280x1024), and I downsized after installation (to
1024x768) thinking that would help. Does Myth need to be told of this
behind-Myth's-back change, or does it autosync, or not even care?

From another suggestion about my (lack of) signal strength - I have no
artifacts (hatching, striping) that usually manifest on a weak signal,
just a picture that looks like it's got about 75% of the resolution of the
crisper old machine.