[mythtv-users] zap2it - rsync updates?

Jamin W. Collins jcollins at asgardsrealm.net
Thu Oct 19 17:45:16 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> It's been talked about before, but won't work because every user has a
> unique lineup.  TMS made a conscious decision to save bandwidth at the
> expense of computational resources by giving each user a customized
> lineup.  That doesn't mean we should punish them for giving us a better
> product by wasting their resources.

Generating a singular file unique to the user on their side for a
complete date range and then using rsync to transfer only the
differences might save bandwidth.  Though, I have no idea what impact
that would have on the server's CPU usage (this would depend heavily on
unknown factors).

> And, in truth, it /is/ a waste to re-download the listings from 8 days
> from now in case of updates.  It just doesn't matter because Myth will
> get the update /before/ it's required (Myth can't start recording a show
> that airs 8 days from now until, well, 8 days from now).

You're assuming that a recording profile covering that time already
exists.  But if the listing hasn't been updated, how will you know if
it's something you want to record?

As someone else has already pointed out there is also the matter of
scheduling impact.  An opposite problem to the one they present is Myth
opting for the later showing of program "foo" due to a conflict between
"foo" and "bar". However, when Myth updates it's listing, it finds that
the "foo" repeat has been replaced by something else.

Advanced notification of the lineup change could solve both situations.

--
Jamin W. Collins