[mythtv-users] zap2it - rsync updates?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 19 17:23:17 UTC 2006

On 10/19/06 12:15, Jamin W. Collins wrote:

>Derek Battams wrote:
>

>>Since Myth grabs listings up to two weeks in advance, it's likely that
>>the listings were different at the time they were grabbed for the
>>day/channel in question.  Myth won't update this Sunday's listings
>>until Saturday's mythfilldatabase run, at which time the listings will
>>be updated.  Zap2It's web site reflects changes to the listings as
>>soon as they are updated by the source, whereas Myth won't update the
>>listings until the day before, unless you tell mfd otherwise, which is
>>not recommended as it puts an unnecessary strain on the Zap2It servers.
>>

>Has anyone talked with Zap2It about possibly providing something like an
>rsync interface for retrieving channel listings?  This could effectively
>allow people to keep their listings completely up to date while limiting
>the load on their servers.

It's been talked about before, but won't work because every user has a
unique lineup.  TMS made a conscious decision to save bandwidth at the
expense of computational resources by giving each user a customized
lineup.  That doesn't mean we should punish them for giving us a better
product by wasting their resources.

And, in truth, it /is/ a waste to re-download the listings from 8 days
from now in case of updates.  It just doesn't matter because Myth will
get the update /before/ it's required (Myth can't start recording a show
that airs 8 days from now until, well, 8 days from now).

If you want reassurance, check http://zap2it.com/ to see if TMS has the
updated listings.  If so, Myth will get the updates the day before the
show airs.

Mike