[mythtv-users] Video Memory -- How Much?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Oct 19 14:59:06 UTC 2006

On Oct 19, 2006, at 7:50 AM, David Engel wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 06:26:59PM -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
>> On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 16:29 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> On 10/18/06 15:06, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>> You can get 1080p on a single-link DVI card using an LCD display and
>>> faking the timings, but only if you have a great-quality TMDS
>>> transmitter (which most video cards--even the expensive ones--
>>> don't).
>>> So, in reality, if using DVI, you should look for dual-link for
>>> 1080p
>>> output, as Brad said.
>>
>> None of the nVidia chips have a good TMDS transmitter. If you want
>> an nVidia card with good single link DVI you need to get one which
>> doesn't use the internal TMDS transmitter but instead uses an
>> external
>> chip for TMDS. This means you can't buy a cheap card, unless it is
>> a remaindered workstation card. A dual-link card using the on-chip
>> TMDS transmitters will usually be cheaper.
>
> I'm confused.  There seems to be quite a few people on AVS Forum
> claiming to do 1080p from their HTPCs to new 1080p LCD TVs with just a
> DVI-HDMI cable.  Are they equally as confused as me or am I missing
> something?
>
> David

 From what I read (and saw in my experience), DVI doesn't have enough
bandwidth to carry all the data necessary for 1080p. I tried to fake
out my 5200FX card, but I ended up with weird bands in my video that
weren't acceptable. They looked ok on my 1080i DVI input, though. I
got myself a 6600 and still had the same problem. I switched to a
duall-link cable and it was perfect.