[mythtv-users] mythtv has one more chance with me (ubuntu edgy eft)

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Oct 19 12:20:11 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 12:51:12PM -0400, H P Ladds wrote:
> 10/18/06, Dan G <dang at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
> (several months ago, i was running 0.19 and a kernel update broke
> >it.  this mailing list was no help - didn't even get a single

	Perhaps you shouldn't have mucked around with the kernel
update, or reverted it. Think of yourself as a little Tivo corp
who has to decide when making a change to n+1 one boxes what sort
of things can go wrong. You need to determine if it is even
worthwhile to make the change and also have some strategy for
undoing it should it cause problems.

> >response.  decided to try again, only to run into this.  please,
> >someone help me.  i swear to god, i will never touch mythtv again if
> >i can't get this to work...)
>

> Hi Dan,
>
> Mythtv is a complex app -- and developmental. It is particularly good for
> those that "like pain."

	Not really. It lacks polish and automation in a couple of places
and is dependent on hardware that isn't as integrated into the main
kernel sources as you would normall suspect. However, it's not that bad
and it's not nearly the worst media app to deal with.

	Something like Ubuntu should ease the pain considerably.

[deletia]