[mythtv-users] MythFrontend CPU use

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Thu Oct 19 06:24:32 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 18 October 2006 21:58, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> > While sitting at the main menu, MythFrontend (the mythfrontend
> > process) uses around 50% CPU. What's it doing? Can this be reduced?
>
> If you are using the OpenGL theme painter then it could be a poor OpenGL
> implementation or setup on your system.  Try using the QT theme painter
> in the settings.
>
> Kevin

Thank you. I am using the OpenGL themer. I am using NVidia's OpenGL driver,
version 1.0.8774 - is that a bad one?

As I looked up things for this reply, I skipped over to the settings page
to see what I had set, and CPU use went down to nothing. Going back to the
main menu, and it goes back to 50% or more. So I played around a bit and
it looks like menus are the culprit. What I did was Alt-Tab to switch to a
Konsole I had running on the Desktop, then Ctrl-Esc to bring up the KDE
Process Table, and sorted on User %. By Alt-Tabbing between MythFrontend
and the Process tool I saw how different screens caused CPU usage to vary.
Menus uses lots of CPU, whereas other screens (input or display) used
virtually none.

There are a couple exceptions: the Media Library, and Utilities/Setup
submenus off the main menu. I didn't look exhaustively, but I visited and
re-visited a number of screens to check my suspiscions.

Then I switched to the QT Theme and saw the same patterns.

Maybe someone else can try this out - it's really easy.