[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase autorun config file location error

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 18 17:43:24 UTC 2006

On 10/18/06 08:49, Axel Thimm wrote:

>I think the plan (for the packages, there is no upstream issue
>anywhere) should be to
>
>a) make running mythbackend as root/mythtv a user configurable option
>
>b) if it is run as root due to device permissions/kernel capabilities
>   issues then it should emulate being the mythtv user, e.g. set a home
>   of ~mythtv and also try to chown files to the mythtv user.
>
>The latter may need use of default acls on dirs and perhaps some
>intermediate root-owned files will be unavoidable. But at least that
>should be the bird's view.

Part b is definitely A Good Thing.  Part a should be at the discretion
of the packager (i.e. do you want to deal with educating users as to why
they have permissions/priority/other issues after they change it to run
as non-root user).  Now that I've helped with the easy part, I'll leave
the hard part (implementing the solution) up to you.  :)

>BTW this is both independent of the packaging system used as well as
>the distribution. Perhaps the outcome should be documented in the wiki
>and the methods shared between distributions.

Definitely true.

Mike