[mythtv-users] mythtv has one more chance with me (ubuntu edgy eft)

F Peeters (MythTV) francesco at fampeeters.com
Wed Oct 18 12:29:27 UTC 2006

On Wed, October 18, 2006 14:18, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 02:25:22AM -0400, Dan G wrote:
>>
>> i can't get mythtv to run on ubuntu edgy eft beta.
>
> Have you checked with the Ubuntu packager or on an Ubuntu forum/list?
>

>> i've tried both using the edgy eft packages and compiling from the
>> 0.20 tar-ed release.
>>

> You are using a beta distribution, it may or may not have problems (see
> above).
>
>> either way, when i run mythtv-setup or mythfrontend, i get "Floating
>> point exception (core dumped)".
>>

> If it is not a package error, maybe you have some bad hardware?  Check
> memory, powersupply, processor.
>
>> mythbackend runs, but complains about the backend IP and wants me to
>> run mythtv-setup.
>>

> Of course it complains, you haven't been able to run mythtv-setup so the
> backend is not configured properly.
>
>> tried lots of googling, messing around with DB and permissions,
>> logging with -v and -v all (doesn't work), etc etc.
>>
>> (several months ago, i was running 0.19 and a kernel update broke
>> it.  this mailing list was no help - didn't even get a single
>> response.  decided to try again, only to run into this.  please,
>> someone help me.  i swear to god, i will never touch mythtv again if
>> i can't get this to work...)
>>

> Maybe it is the way your questions are being phrased.  You seem to be
> frustrated and *demanding* assistance (as if you actually payed or
> otherwise contributed to the MythTV project).  In an open source/free
> software environment, a threat of "never touching the software again if
> you don't get x" goes over like a lead balloon.  Many people will take
> the attitude of "great, one less jerk to clutter up the lists/worry
> about."
>
> Pat

Running on Edgy Eft myself without major problems... The biggest issue was
the lack of the extra's package on the official Ubuntu repo, but that
seems to be resolved as well...

I'm going to upgrade to the official ubuntu version later today, and will
let ya'll know how it went!

--
F Peeters
  PC-Chips M863G Geode - NVidia 440 - Hauppauge PVR250