[mythtv-users] mythtv has one more chance with me (ubuntu edgy eft)

Patrick Ouellette pat at flying-gecko.net
Wed Oct 18 12:18:52 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 02:25:22AM -0400, Dan G wrote:

> i can't get mythtv to run on ubuntu edgy eft beta.

Have you checked with the Ubuntu packager or on an Ubuntu forum/list?

> i've tried both using the edgy eft packages and compiling from the
> 0.20 tar-ed release.

You are using a beta distribution, it may or may not have problems (see
above).

> either way, when i run mythtv-setup or mythfrontend, i get "Floating
> point exception (core dumped)".

If it is not a package error, maybe you have some bad hardware?  Check
memory, powersupply, processor.

> mythbackend runs, but complains about the backend IP and wants me to
> run mythtv-setup.

Of course it complains, you haven't been able to run mythtv-setup so the
backend is not configured properly.

> tried lots of googling, messing around with DB and permissions,
> logging with -v and -v all (doesn't work), etc etc.
>
> (several months ago, i was running 0.19 and a kernel update broke
> it.  this mailing list was no help - didn't even get a single
> response.  decided to try again, only to run into this.  please,
> someone help me.  i swear to god, i will never touch mythtv again if
> i can't get this to work...)

Maybe it is the way your questions are being phrased.  You seem to be
frustrated and *demanding* assistance (as if you actually payed or
otherwise contributed to the MythTV project).  In an open source/free
software environment, a threat of "never touching the software again if
you don't get x" goes over like a lead balloon.  Many people will take
the attitude of "great, one less jerk to clutter up the lists/worry
about."

Pat

Patrick Ouellette                 pat at flying-gecko.net
kb8pym at arrl.net                   Amateur Radio: KB8PYM
Living life to a Jimmy Buffett soundtrack
"Crank the amp to 11, this needs more cowbell - and a llama wouldn't hurt either"