[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun and QAM

Dwayne B. dab at dab-tech.com
Wed Oct 18 03:44:12 UTC 2006

On 21:04 Tue 17 Oct     , Ken Mandelberg wrote:
>  > > And again, if I bypass the scanning and manually add channels with the
>  > > right subchannel numbers and format (eg 80-201), the failure occurs
> when
>  > > I tune to the channel and it tries to demultiplex
>  > Oops! This is your mistake. You should just rename the channels that
>  > the MythTV scanner inserts, preferably using the Frontend Channel
>  > Editor. To manually insert digital channels you need a command of
>  > SQL and you need to create not just the channel table row, but also
>  > a matching dtv_multiplex table row with the frequency, modulation, etc.
>
>  > -- Daniel
>
> Well, I tried this. I ran a scan, and then tried to start the Frontend
> Channel Editor. As I understand it this means, going into livetv. When I
> do that it immedediately tries to go to the initial channel 80#0 which
> crashes the backend with
>
> 2006-10-17 20:41:14.494 TVRec(1): Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
> 2006-10-17 20:41:14.495 TVRec(1): HW Tuner: 1->1
> 2006-10-17 20:41:15.089 Finished recording Unknown: channel 1800
> 2006-10-17 20:41:15.115 Finished recording Unknown: channel 1800
> Segmentation fault
>
> The frontend shows a channel banner for 80#0 with no video content, this
> fades out and error message comes up as "Error was encountered when
> displaying video", with the only option to go back to the main menu.
>
> I've never got as far as the frontend channel editor, unless I
> misunderstand how to invoke it.

It seems that you may be running into the problem that is described in
this ticket: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2541  I gather from your
original post that your running .20 fixes, what revision are you
running? If you compile from source you may want to grab the latest code
and recompile, as the segfault I reported in that ticket has been
fixed; and also the hdhomerun recorder component has been updated to
handle raw MPEG channels (as it seems your trying to tune).

--Dwayne