[mythtv-users] Lix Systems Barebones -- thoughts on it for a QUIET frontend

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 18:40:53 UTC 2006

> I have network booting MythTV frontends using both VIA CN400 (VIA EPIA
> SP8000E) and NVIDIA 6150 (ASUS A8N-VM CSM) based motherboards.
>
> I like the VIA based board because it is small and fanless. However, it
> does not have working DVI-D support. If you have a TV with either DVI or
> HDMI input, then having DVI-D support is good, because the picture looks
> better than when using either S-Video or VGA. In addition, the VIA
> board's underpowered CPU cannot handle MythGallery image scaling or
> MythMusic visualizations.
>
> I like the NVIDIA based board for all the reasons that I do not like the
> VIA based board. While it requires fans, in an Antec NSK2400 case with a
> Zalman CPU cooler, it is very quiet. However, it is not small like the
> VIA based board.

I agree, that setup is quite a nice option for the 'quiet' choice.
The silent choice is really where I think we should all be working
towards, but where the cost is much more manageable for the bulk of
Myth users is probably currently in the 'quiet' choice.  The only real
'beef' I have with that case versus something like the LC11 is that it
gives the feel of a computer in the living room.  The front of the DVD
drive will stick a bit (definitely should get a silver faced drive to
limit that) and overall it just has a "computer" feel to it.  Where
with the predecesor Fusion it has less of that feel by simply adding
the VFD and knob.  For a much cheaper/closer option though the LC11 is
nice because it provides that door that covers the drive and provides
a nice Home Theater equipment feel to it.

-Chad

--
Prebuilt HDTV capable systems at reasonable prices:
http://www.pauselivetv.com