[mythtv-users] PAL AND NTSC Supported Tuner

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Oct 16 19:06:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 08:31 -0600, Brian Wood wrote:
> You say your TV will only handle NTSC, so tuning a PAL signal and
> recording it would not be of any help to you.
>
> You need to standards convert the PAL signal in order to watch it on
> an NTSC set, a very different matter from simply recording it, and it
> has nothing to do with the tuner card.

MythTV will do the conversion for you, you just need to configure your
video card to only output NTSC. Then MythTV will do the scaling from
PAL resolutions to NTSC and will convert the framerate on the fly.
You should configure MythTV to use a deinterlacer though, kernel
deint is probably your best bet for watching PAL or SECAM recordings
on an NTSC TV. Don't use bob-deint, the result will look bad.

I don't know if MythTV can convert from NTSC to PAL without hickups,
but PAL to NTSC is not a problem.

AFAIK most tuners will work with any of the common analog standards,
but someone on the ivtv or v4l lists can probably help with this
better than anyone on the MythTV mailing lists. The same model,
say "PVR-250", usually has many generations which use many
different tuners. Some tuners are better than others.

-- Daniel