[mythtv-users] PAL AND NTSC Supported Tuner

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 16 14:31:28 UTC 2006

On Oct 16, 2006, at 7:57 AM, James Fowler wrote:

> I have gone through the goldfish archive and searched the user list
> archive on Gossamer-Threads. I cannot find what I am looking for:
>
> A tuner that will
>      1) work with Myth
>      2) that supports both NTSC and PAL signals.
>
> I move around frequently to different parts of the world. My TV
> only does NTSC. I need a tuner that will let me handle whatever
> signal is available and watch it on my NTSC TV, along with the rest
> of my collection.
>
> I would love to pay the extra and have hardware MPEG encoding, I
> can live without it though.
>
> Is there a single tuner I can buy? Is it possible to have a PAL and
> an NTSC turner working simultaneously under Myth?

Many tuners will handle both NTSC and PAL, as well as the various
frequency assignments you will encounter around the world.

But that doesn't appear to be your problem.

You say your TV will only handle NTSC, so tuning a PAL signal and
recording it would not be of any help to you.

You need to standards convert the PAL signal in order to watch it on
an NTSC set, a very different matter from simply recording it, and it
has nothing to do with the tuner card.

You can get TV sets that will display both standards, but the tend to
be expensive, or you will have to process the PAL signal after
recording it.

If it were me I would probably get a PAL-only set instead of an NTSC
one, as you will lose quality by transcoding a PAL signal to NTSC,
and the latter looks like crap already (Never Twice the Same Color).