[mythtv-users] mythfrontend 0.20 Protocol version mismatch (frontend=30, backend=31)

David Pietromonaco pietro at videoi.com
Mon Oct 16 09:33:18 UTC 2006

I've been patiently waiting for a revised mythfrontend for debian sarge and
so far no luck :( so I downloaded the myth source tarball from the
mythtv.org website and compiled it on my xbox. This took a few days to
get the dependencies working and the actual compile to complete. Then, I
ran it and had the same problem!!! Either mythfrontend has a library
where the protocol code is and I'm still pointing to the old one or the
source on the website doesn't match the code that was in the package for
the fc5 distro. What's really driving me crazy is that there doesn't
seem to be any way to tell what code you actually have!! The code
version numbers match but obviously they don't. How do you tell what
protocol the code uses? How can I tell I have a matching "set" before I
waste more days of my life compiling mismatched versions of the same
revision?!? (and I do mean waste days of my life. Compiling on an xbox
makes you want to claw your face off while you wait just to pass the
time).

Anybody know where to look in the source to see what protocol version
it is using?  That would be VERY helpful for my next attempt!!

At this point, I have 2 main choices. Try to guess what atrpm package to
downgrade my backend to to match the website tarball (or recompile the
backend to match the website code (ugh)). But the backend is working
fine, I'd rather not mess around with it. So, choice 2 is to try to come
up with a compatible source for the frontend and compile that again. I
suppose I'll have to set up (and learn to use, too) subversion somewhere
and try to hunt around for a compatible source for the frontend. Of
course, with matching revision numbers and mismatched protocols, I have
not a lot of faith that just poking around randomly is going to yield
something that works. Plus, I don't know which branches are stable and which
are dangerous.

Any suggestions to help me straighten this all out in the easiest way
possible would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
-Dave (previously blissfully ignorant mythtv user, now just ignorant
mythtv user :)