[mythtv-users] Internal Video player OSD almost unreadable

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 15 19:20:26 UTC 2006

On 10/14/06 23:30, Paul wrote:

> I've got DPI set @ 100 x 100 using
>      Option         "DPI"   "100 x 100"
>
> But the OSD font is still "out-of-focus" note the normal TV recordings
> the OSD is good just MythTV is poor output . I've looked at a few Xvid
> and DivX and some its ok and some it isn't.
> Would this condition be something to do with resolution or encoding etc..

OK, before, I thought you were saying your fonts are the wrong size.
Now it sounds like you're saying they're the right size, but they look
ugly.  If so, it's almost definitely a problem caused by your not having
the font specified by your OSD theme installed on your system.

So, either a) install the font, b) change OSD themes, or c) edit the OSD
theme to use a font that you have installed and that looks good with the
OSD theme.  If a font is requested, but not installed on your system,
you'll get what X calls a "closest match", but what may actually be very
different from the originally requested font.  Depending on many
factors, the actual font you get may be different from request to request.

You can find the font name in the OSD theme's osd.xml file.  But,
chances are installing http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/ and
http://www.gnome.org/fonts/ would help immensely.  If you need more
information, please let us know what OSD theme you're using.

Mike