[mythtv-users] LiveTV Change channel

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Oct 14 17:52:12 UTC 2006

On 10/14/06 09:43, Michel van der Kleij wrote:

>Now I have a problem changing channels: I can't!
>
>LiveTV starts with a channel ID of 1044 which is the cable provider's index
>page (I think I specified that somewhere during setup I seem to remember), but
>none of the keys or numbers I type in result in another channel. The index
>channel is labelled "Unknown" but that might be because of the program guide.
>
>I have two sets of entries in the channel table: one set that was obtained by
>running a frequency scan, the other by "mythfilldatabase --manual". These are
>some entries from that table:
>
>| chanid | freqid | name                | channum |
>|   1039 | 343250 | Animal Planet       | S26     |
>|     34 | NULL   | Animal Planet       | S26     |
>|     14 | NULL   | ARD                 | 21      |
>|   1045 | 391250 | BBC 1               | S32     |
>|     12 | NULL   | BBC 1               | S32     |
>|     13 | NULL   | BBC 2               | E21     |
>|   1055 | 409250 | BBC 2               | E21     |
>
>And the channel that works is:
>
>|   1044 | 383250 | Mozaiekbeeld        | S31     |
>
>Even though I don't like these high channel numbers (I intend to change them
>later), I would guess that typing "1039" would give me that channel, or
>perhaps even "S26". But it doesn't. I can change channel by using ivtv-tune
>though, but with more "sensible" numbers, like 5 or 9.
>
>Does anyone recognise this problem and know what to do about it?

chanid is used only internally by Myth.  channum is the number you
specify to tell Myth to change channels during LiveTV.  Therefore, 1044
will not work.  S26 should, but doesn't because you have duplicate
channels (with duplicate channums).

You can change the channum to anything you want--as long as each channel
you've defined has its own unique value (no two channels can have the
same channel number--even if they're on different sources).  Just don't
change the freqid.

So, fix your channels.  The NULL freqid makes me think you did something
like scan your PVR-150 for channels.  You should really populate
channels on analog sources with mythfilldatabase (or the "Fetch channels
from listings provider" button in mythtv-setup).

The best way to fix it is to use the "Delete All" button to delete all
your video sources, then recreate video sources, channels, and input
connections (but don't scan analog sources).

Mike