[mythtv-users] Multiple LIRC (serial) transmitters on FC5

Mark J. Small msmall at eastlink.ca
Fri Oct 13 19:26:50 UTC 2006

On Friday 13 October 2006 15:31, Dan Wilga wrote:
> At 9:25 AM -0300 10/13/06, Mark J. Small wrote:
> >What I did was to copy the entire lirc_serial module and create a second
> >module that I called lirc_serial1.  I found (using grep) all instances of
> >serial in the code and changed them to serial1.  I also had to fiddle with
> >the Makefile a bit to be sure both modules were built.
>
> Newer versions can handle this without the need to modify the source
> code. However, I don't do this myself, so I'd be afraid of getting
> something wrong if I tried to guess what the necessary steps are.
> Hopefully someone else will chime in before too long.
>
> >As for isolating the transmitters and receivers from each other, I used
> > egg carton segments to cover over the IR receivers on my STBs.  I can
> > send a picture if you like.
>
> Personally, I hard-wired into the IR receivers of my Dish boxes and
> created an opto-isolated interface. That way I don't have to worry
> about the ugliness factor or interference. (Instead, I just have to
> worry about other things taking too much CPU time away from LIRC--but
> that's another story.)

Yeah, that's why I had to renice my lirc scripts so that a busy CPU wouldn't
cause the STB's to timeout between attempted key presses.  I kept getting bad
channel changes on certain programs (always got Leno on channel 6 instead of
Inuyasha on 26.)  I finally checked my logs, and found that there was a 9
second gap between keypress events.

Mark