[mythtv-users] holding tv shows episode info in database

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Oct 13 05:28:40 UTC 2006

On Oct 12, 2006, at 9:57 PM, Bilge Tutak wrote:

> Brad,
> There are several reasons:
> 1 - Recordings are generally around 2GB per/hour if you leave them
> as recordings. And generally 0.5GB when you transcode them (to
> dvd).Because I have zillion recordings, I can not afford that much
> space.
> 2 - I bought the drive much later then my myth setup. I am using
> LVM and it is pretty easy to add this, but I do not want to bother.
> 3 - Finally, my bigger disk is external (actually in an enclosure)
> and I want to be able to move it across several places, even to
> different country :).
>
> So I have to go with this for now. Actually, I can maybe modify the
> video database in mythtv, and add the required columns. And I can
> probably modify the nuvexport to copy the episode info to the new
> columns. But I do not want to mess with myth database, because I
> will probably break it :).
>
> Any way maybe I should leave like this :)..
>
> Thanks
>
> Bilge

You can transcode recordings down as much as you like without putting
them in MythVideo. You might also want to take a look at MythArchive
which will allow you to select a bunch of recordings and move them
off to either DVD's or to some other storage location. When you want
to watch them, you can reimport them (with MythArchive) and all
should be well including the metadata. Seems like an easier way to
overcome your extremely limited storage options.

-Brad