[mythtv-users] MythArchive output quality is poor for SD and HQ profiles

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Oct 12 17:24:50 UTC 2006

Mike wrote:
> Leighton Brough wrote:
>
>> MythTV wrote:
>>

>>> Newer ffmpeg versions no longer take video bitrates in kbits/s.  It now
>>> takes it in bits/s. Try editing the mytharchive encoder profiles and adding
>>> three zeroes onto all of the bitrates.  I think this is fixed in SVN but not
>>> fixes-0.20.
>>>

>> Thanks - that fixed it. I added a "k" to the "-b" options in the
>> /usr/local/share/mythtv/mytharchive/encoder_profiles/* files (and also
>> fixed my copy of the source, for the next build and install).
>>
>> I've tried both the SD and LP options tonight and the results are
>> excellent once the bitrate parameter for ffmpeg is fixed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Leighton
>>

> Works for me too... Being as this appears to work on both older and
> newer versions of ffmpeg... I wonder why it isn't backported into
> 0.20-fixes branch.
>
> -Mike

Mainly because I wasn't 100% sure that all older versions of ffmpeg
would accept the 'k' suffix so I thought the best thing to do was wait a
while to see if anyone complains about ffmpeg not working with the svn
trunk version of MythArchive. I'm surprised at how many people that are
using the fixes branch are using the latest svn version of ffmpeg.

Anyway the change seems harmless enough so I'll merge it into the fixes
branch when I get some time.

Paul H.