[mythtv-users] Recordings playback flashes scenes slightlyforward/backward

Mike Grusin mgrusin at flyingcircuits.com
Thu Oct 12 14:57:26 UTC 2006

> > I recently upgraded to 0.20 on my Gentoo machine with IVTV 0.7.0 on a
> > PVR350. I am using a GeForce 4 through DVI to playback.  As I am
> > watching a recording, it will flash in random locations in the video,
> > but always in the same spot.

I have a much older ivtv, and my PVR500 will occasionally make a recording
which will flash, but the flash repeats every second or so after the first
one until the end of the recording.  I can also see the flash at the
single-frame level, so it's not a playback artifact.

The consistent cause for me (which I mention so you can watch for it) is it
always occurs right after the cable company does one of those "this is only
a test" messages, ususally late at night.  I suspect that the cable company
is -not- inserting this video in a frame-accurate way (there are big
glitches before and after), and it's messing up something in the timing on
the ivtv/PVR500.

May not be the same thing, but see if there's any nonstandard video ("this
is only a test", poor cuts to commercials, etc.) before your flash.  (Not
sure what to do to fix it if this -is- the problem, I was hoping that later
versions of ivtv would be better at recovering from glitches).

Good luck! -Mike G.